Sunday, April 12, 2009

Constructive Criticism

From time to time we get back evaluations from many of our supervising physicians evaluated on a scale of 1-3 (1=bad, 2=average, 3=great) in a variety of categories - anything from your basic medical knowledge to your skills in certain procedures. Occasionally comments will be made to offer constructive criticisinm or feedback.



The other day I received an evaluation from an anonymous attending who gave me a 1 (bad) in the category entitled "Communicates well with staff and colleagues". In the comments they wrote "consider the use of breath mints on a routine basis."



REALLY!?!? WHO DOES THAT!?!?




First of all - can you really say that someone has bad breath based on one shift? Maybe I had some garlic laden entree that night. Maybe a tuna salad sandwich (actually that sounds pretty gross...I wouldn't have eaten that.) Bottom line - couldn't you have just offered a mint in person? I have a pretty good (although according to Jenny, somewhat basic) understanding of social mores. I would have gotten the hint. Did that really need to go into my PERMANENT record!?!? I'll never get a job now because my future employers are going to be questioning my oral hygiene.


On the other hand, maybe your evals as an intern are like a juvenile criminal record - maybe it will all get expunged when I become a second year resident. In the meantime, my new favorite flavor is spearmint.

4 comments:

Kimba said...

Maybe they were jealous of your mad skills...

Kimba said...

Also, are they implying that your breath impeded your communication? Or their attention? Because last I checked, that shouldn't affect your speaking. Unless maybe, you didn't brush for like, a decade and all your teeth fell out. Then maybe they'd be onto something...

Reshma said...

Oh man - I can actually picture you telling this story and getting all excited as you get further into it...I miss you friend!

Mulder said...

Quistapha...... I really feel bad for you, and the permanent record. I'm pretty sure those things follow you around, so make sure you have a thing of mentos sticking out of your pocket wherever you go. People will get the impression that you took the feedback. And if you never use them, you never have to replace them! Either way, that person was a bit harsh... sorry about that bro!